The cold, windy and dry winter season can be harsh on the skin. Also, in the winter we tend to spend more time indoors in low air quality. We get minimal sun exposure, exercise less, and eat fewer fresh foods, all of which tax the skin.
To take top-notch care of your skin this winter, follow this winter skincare routine. It will help your skin function more optimally from the inside and out.
Holistic Winter Skin Routine
• Nourish Your Skin from Within: As we talk about so often, the skin is a direct reflection of your internal body. The skin is intimately tied to the health of your Liver, Lungs and entire digestive system. So, you cannot achieve truly healthy and beautiful skin without also addressing the health of your body as a whole.
In general, you want to live a rather toxic-free lifestyle as to not overburden your eliminatory organs (liver, kidneys, lungs, etc.) and cause inflammation, which damages the skin. From there, you want to focus on eating a nutritious diet, rich in antioxidants to help protect the skin from oxidative damage. Great foods for the skin include healthy saturated fats like pastured animal meats, eggs, grass-fed butter, wild-caught fatty fish and coconut oil. Additionally, focus on eating a variety of in season vegetables to help cleanse the bowels and provide antioxidant protection. Potatoes are great sources of carbs and protein. They also help support the thyroid, which is necessary for healthy skin.
• Spice up Your Diet: According to TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine), the Lungs along with the Liver rule the skin. In the winter, the Lungs are susceptible to stress and this can degrade the health of the skin. TCM recommends herbs like Astragalus and spicy foods like onions, garlic, ginger, chilies, radish and kimchi to support the health of the Lung “wei chi”, especially during winter.
• Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate: Healthy skin requires water. Consuming spring water is a great way to support collagen production on top of staying hydrated. More important than food is water, so be sure to get adequate water daily. 2-3 liters is ideal. However, this depends on your body weight, age, gender, and activity level.
Choose The Right Skincare Products
• Minimize Soap Use: While many American’s were taught to vigorously wash and scrub their skin daily, the truth is, not only is this not necessary, it can actually disrupt the skin’s pH and sebum production. You can spare your soap (ideally a gentle castile soap) for washing in the important regions of your body, such as the crevices, underarms, feet, etc. When it comes to the skin on your face, wash only when necessary and stick to gentle, organic and non-toxic cleansers that won’t strip away too much oil.
• Upgrade Your Facial Cleanser: Most commercial cleansers can be extremely irritating, drying and even toxic the skin. If your current cleanser features glycolic, salicylic acid, or alcohol, you might want to consider upgrading to a higher quality, toxic and alcohol free cleanser. The Alitura Pearl Cleanser is a great option. It has none of these chemicals and is packed with highly effective natural ingredients.
Pro Tip: Moisturize immediately after cleansing. Otherwise your face is more susceptible to drying out.
• Overnight Moisturize: Moisturizing the skin overnight is smart for a few reasons. First, the body repairs and rejuvenates while in REM sleep. Supporting the skin with a nutritive and lubricating moisturizer can assist the regeneration of the skin. Secondly, there is the basic factor of time; you have 6-8 hours to let your moisturizer “soak in” without the concern of added environmental stresses (wind, air pollution, etc.) The Alitura Night Cream features a variety of soothing organic and natural oils, with additional rejuvenating ingredients that are fantastic for keeping the skin hydrated and revitalized.