If you’re looking for a simple way to enhance your daily skin routine, support your overall health, and even improve your scent naturally, then look no further than essential oils. These botanical oil extracts are not only incredible stuff for the skin, containing valuable constituents that enhance skin health, they are also extremely versatile and can be utilized in endless ways.
Of the many uses and benefits essential oils offer, one of their primary benefits is their ability to beautify the skin.
Perhaps the greatest benefit of essential oils is that unlike conventional skin care products, essential oils are natural and non-toxic. Most commercial skincare products use very harsh, synthetic fragrances and ingredients that usually only further irritate the skin. However, essential oils are rich in naturally occurring antioxidants and other elements which help to brighten, smooth, and moisturize the skin without harming it.
Below are some of the best essential oils to help your skin glow!
Essential Oils Your Skin Loves
• Frankincense – This particular oil is known to reduce the appearance of skin spots or age spots. It is one of the best essential oils for evening out an uneven skin tone. So, if you experience blotchiness, spottiness or splotchiness, then frankincense essential oil is one of the first essential oils you’ll want to experiment with!
Frankincense has natural astringent properties, which helps to cleanse and protect the skin. By keeping the pores clean and eliminating inflammation, it will help to smooth the skin tone and eliminate the underlying inflammation that causes skin issues. In fact, frankincense’s ability to tone and lift skin, reduces appearance of scars and acne, and more, are scientifically proven, which can be attributed to its ability to modulate inflammatory responses. 1
• Lavender – This is perhaps the number one oil for improving skin problems, especially wounds, cuts and acne. and cuts. Lavender is special in that it improves cellular communication within the immune system of the skin.
One of the common theories of disease and aging is that free radicals (toxins, chemicals, pollutants, etc.) are suppress the immune system and cause damage to the body. According to research, lavender essential oil helps the body produce the most potent antioxidants in the body (glutathione, catalase and superoxide dismutase), which inhibit free radical damage. Therefore, the use of lavender oil will help with all of the skin ailments caused by inflammation, including wrinkles, acne and even autoimmune issues of the skin.
• Tea Tree – In addition to inflammation being a primary cause of disease and skin problems, infectious, pathogenic bacteria are also at cause. Of the many essential oils, tea tree is one of the strongest antimicrobial oils, which helps eliminate harmful, pathogens which cause inflammatory damage to the skin, leading to issues like dandruff, acne and skin infections like boils.
• Ylang Ylang – Not only is Ylang Ylang highly medicinal, it is also has a beautiful floral fragrance. In fact, it is a common essential oil in top dollar perfumes, only they are usually synthetic and toxic! Pure, therapeutic grade Ylang Ylang essential oil however will not only improve your scent, it will help your skin hold moisture. This is a great essential oil for all skin types, and can be used by mixing into a simple organic carrier oil. It is; however, especially great for dry skin!
• Geranium – As an astringent, geranium helps to cleanse the skin, inhibit the formation of wrinkles, and prevent skin infections. The antibacterial properties in geranium oil prevent the formation of infections on the skin’s surface. Additionally, geranium helps promote the formation of new, healthy skin cells, resulting in younger, healthier skin. As an overall antioxidant rich oil, with anti-inflammatory properties, geranium will help with all possible skin conditions including acne, eczema, psoriasis and more.
• German Chamomile – One of our favorite oils, German chamomile is a natural anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and antioxidant. It contains around 50% bisabolol, which is helpful for treating dry skin conditions and premature skin aging. In addition to its ability to sooth and heal the skin, it is bisabolol that exudes the subtle floral aroma that makes for a wonderful natural fragrance.
These are just a few of the most medicinal essential oils for skin health. Most essential oils possess strong anti-oxidant and anti-inflammation and anti-bacterial properties, which target root causes in skin problems. In order to reap the benefits from oils, you always want to ensure they are organic and are diluted in a carrier oil for maximum absorption.
As some of you already know, you can use essential oils with the Alitura Clay Mask for an even better experience. Just add 2-3 drops of your favorite essential oils during the mixing process with the water or apple cider vinegar!